Friday, October 19, 2012

Toy Box Makeover Part 2

If you missed the beginning of this makeover, you can read about the first day of it here

After letting the stain dry for a full 24 hours, I got out my trusty overhead projector. I used it to trace the design I wanted onto the toybox. After tracing with pencil, I filled in the design with about 400 coats of white acrylic craft paint.

After painting the millions of coats of paint, I finally got the design looking the way I wanted. It was then time to seal the entire piece. I normally use polyurethane, but because I didn't want the yellowing to happen over the crisp white paint, this time I used Minwax Polycrylic. Yes, it's expensive, but I love the fact that it's a water cleanup and doesn't yellow. Then I just had to let it dry.
There is the final product. The stain deepened to that rich blue color I wanted, without losing the woodgrain. To me, this now looks like a toy box. It's happy and cheerful and just asking for toys to be put into it.

A before and after so you can see the transformation.

Disclaimer
* I was in no way compensated for this post. I use Mixwax products because I love them and they are easy to use.*

0 comments :