Saturday, September 10, 2011

A vent: Hate

Ok, let me start first by saying this: I wasnt sure I was I was going to write this blog post. I've been stewing over it for the last 24 hours. However, I think it's better off posted than not. So, here's your warning. This post deals with hatred. It's a very controversial subject matter and you may not want to continue reading.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hate the word 'retard'. Hate it. Despise it. I hate it when it's used to define the dislike of something; "This car is so retarded looking." I hate it when people use it to describe others; "What? Are you a retard or something?" Mostly, I hate it when it's directed at those who have either mental or physical disabilities. Having a child who had to wear a DOC band, and now has been diagnosed with NF, I've gotten my share of having him called this word. Mostly because people figure out he cant talk, or that he's not potty trained. The worst was while he was in the DOC band though. (Applebee's story I'd rather not care to reiterate right now).

However, yesterday, some ignorant person used it on the FB page of a company I used to be a consumer of. Yes, used to be. This person used it to describe the stylists who picked out her showroom. (Little backstory, it's a shoe-of-the-month club. "Stylists" pick out a few different items, you pick from their selections.) Well, the backlash this lady received from other customers was greater than anything I could have imagined. However, the response from an employee of the company was horrid. Normally, if there is hatred being spewed, the employees inform the offending party/parties that their behavior wont be tolerated, and that the post will be deleted. This time? No such thing happened. The employee merely looked over the hatred being spewed and asked the customer to call them so they could help her. *blink* I was in shock. How could an employee condone the use of this word??

In an effort to give the employee the benefit of the doubt, I waited. For 30 mins. Then I called their customer service line and asked why the offensive post hadnt been removed. I was assured that it would be immediately, and the customer would be informed that her behavior would not be tolerated. This did not happen. The customer took it upon herself to send me a personal message (via FB) letting me know that" I was a 'retard', and "The Company" was in full agreement. Otherwise, why didnt they delete her post?" So, I called back and cancelled my account with all haste. I posted that I cancelled, and my reasons why, on their FB page. The offending employee called me and said that they 'merely forgot' about the post, and that they 'didnt realize it was going to be that offensive." *blink*

I dont not understand how a company that refuses to allow two women call eat other fat could have an employee so out of the loop that they dont know that the word 'retard' is offensive. Because of this, I refuse to do any more business with this company.

I am taking a stand. The word 'retard' should never be used in the manner in which people are using it. How can I make the world better for my son, if I were to keep on utilizing a company that condones the usage of this word? I cant. My son is not a retard. He's a wonderful, smiling, healthy little boy, who happens to have a disease that's robbed him of speech. I'd say he's a hero. My hero.

3 comments :

Stephanie September 10, 2011 at 8:46 PM  

Ugh, what a mess. So sorry that you had to go through that. The word retard has basically been banned in the special education community. It's extremely offensive and should be wiped out of people's vocabulary (along with faggot and the n word). I honestly don't understand how people can be so ignorant and inconsiderate. Good for you for taking a stance!

Mrs. B September 10, 2011 at 10:44 PM  

That word really gets me going too. My brother is Autistic and 12 yrs old but he is 275lbs and almost 6 feet tall.. People make comments all the time and it breaks my heart that he has to hear these ignorant people!!!

Mindy September 12, 2011 at 1:18 PM  

For as long as I can remember, my mom has told me that "retard" is a bad word right up there with another four letter word. So I don't use it and I never have. I speak up when I hear other people use it and tell them that i find it offensive.

I applaud you for standing up to that company! Is it a company that is well known? If so, please e-mail me the name of the company and I will not do business there.