Sunday, September 11, 2011

Where Were You...

Hi there. It's Eric this time. I know you readers rarely hear from me, but today, I'd like to post where I was on September 11, 2001.

I was on the USS Seawolf two-thirds of the way through a 6 month deployment. We were at a port call in Scotland. I was on duty, on watch, when one of the officers came in stating that the towers had been hit by a plane. He had found out through talking to his wife via phone. We all thought he was joking until we saw the front page news in the local Scotland newspaper. We were all pissed off and all wanted to go. Go do what we had been trained to do. We made preperations to leave port as soon as possible. Port call was being ended early.

Military day to day would forever change because of this. While I cannot tell you exactly what happened to my boat mission-wise, I can tell you that our missions changed. We went from a pleasant port call, to being back under the sea. All within a day.

So that's where I was when I found out.  On a submarine, in a foreign country.

Never forget

0 comments :